Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Lions and Tigers and....Contractions??? Oh No!!!

So one would think that since I am on bedrest this blog would be well up to date. Errrrr, wrong.
I have been so sleepy that any time I think about sitting down to replay events, i grab my blanket and go to the couch. Everyday that goes by though is another day I am missing out on noting so I gotta make this happen. And I am actually feeling quite energized tonight, so here we go. This is going to be a long one.

Last post I left off stating that I was heading to my 7 month ultrasound the next day. Little did we know, I would not be heading right to work after that appt as expected. The date was Wednesday, Sept 19th and mom met me there. Everything went well with the appt. The babies were doing great, measuring great. Heartbeats were both 142 and baby A (boy) weighed in at 2lbs 11oz and baby B (girl) weighed in at 2lbs 9oz. Then the DR came in to review everything and told us that he wanted to do an internal exam to check my cervix because it was measuring short. He did his thing and sure enough it was short, not opened which was a very good thing, just short. He had a concern that I may have been having contractions and not feeling them. The Dr says, "I'm going to call your OB and have them set you up to start getting steroid shots". At that point I assumed we would just leave and I would have an appt to go get the shots. He asked us to go wait in the waiting room until he called them. Ok, so we did. Next thing we know a nurse comes out with a wheelchair, has me get in and says that we are going to triage. Say what??? What for??? She said to get the steroid shot. Oh ok, no problem. We get to triage and wait about 20 minutes to be seen, which at this point I am not late for work. We finally get called back to a room and then wait yet another 45, yes 45 minutes to be seen by a nurse. The whole time assuming I was getting the steroid shot and we were outie. When the nurse finally came in, I asked her what was going on here. She said that the orders show that I am there for 24-48 hour monitoring of contractions. So we now have another "Say what??" moment. Why on earth wouldn't they have told us this from the beginning. The whole time we are sitting there and had no idea that we were getting admitted. Well, ok - it is what it is and whatever we need to do to make sure the babies don't come early - i'm in! We eventually got all hooked up to the contraction and heartbeat monitors, which showed great heartbeats but that I really was having contractions every 7-10 minutes. I didn't feel one of them. Pretty scary but also pretty freaking awesome, right??

They moved me into my room and started me on Magnesium to stop the contractions. I also had one steroid shot then to. I didn't call Tim until i knew he was awake. He works 3rd shift and with me being in the hospital now for at least the next day, it menas a heavier load for him. So i knew better than to wake him up...lol. Him and the kids came in to visit me that evening. He said the kids were super excited to visit mommy in the hospital. They may have been a little more excited for the Olive Garden take out that Tim got them though. IM (intended mom) was there all day, until she had to leave for work. Since the babies weren't coming, I told her to go so she had more time off for the real deal. My mom also came in the day to visit and then she went to sleep at my house to watch the kids while Tim worked that night. Quite a production going on there. Oh, how did i forget this - I didn't eat a real breakfast that morning because after every appt, mom and I go to the hospital cafe and have breakfast. I ate a few pb crackers and milk. Bad move on my part because once i got admitted, I was on a clear liquid diet, that last until late morning the next day. UGH!

That next day came. I had hopes to be going home that day but the contractions had not completely stopped. They upped the dose on my magnesium, gave me the 2nd steroid shot and told me I'll be staying another night. ( i was kindve enjoying the break, shhh)
That morning my friend Landy came to visit, the babies mom came in, and so did my mom. We had a good time just chatting and watching daytime tv, while I sat baking babies. Oh and while i enjoyed a super yummy brunch of french toast to!

Good Morning Friday!! Good Morning IM, My mom, and Landy also! All 3 back to see me again. I truly felt loved between the phone calls, the visitors, my neighbor and friend Tobie sent me flowers, and Landy even went to the baby store and bought me a cover for my body pillow. I'll try to post the video of Landy, my mom, and IM trying to put that on later :)

The DR came in and said that they would lower the mag and start me on a pill to relax my uterus and we will see how the day goes. Well, contractions stopped and the mag was eventually turned off. Still no contractions. Woot Woot! Home we go. But, with changes. I will be on a modified bed rest. No working, no lifting, no continous walking up and down steps. Just basically laying or sitting all day. What a change this is for me. I am so always on the go, but I knew what we had to do. We were only 28 weeks and didn't want the babies to come just yet.

I am so very very lucky to have an awesome husband and awesome children that understood and helped make it as easy as possible for me. It does make it a bit easier that Mon-Fri the kids are in school so i get to lay around all day. I save my movements for the evenings when I want to help Riley with her homework and help them get to bed. Thankfully summer is over and the whole neighborhood isn't outside playing while I'm inside laying down. And it's getting darker earlier. That helps to not be in a funk about the whole thing. I have enjoyed the relaxing time and i LOVE LOVE naps!! It will probably suck going back to work at some point.

Here are some pics of our hospital stay.

Mom getting my oh so lovely gown tied up in triage

All hooked up and situated

One of my awesome nurses!

 Flowers from Tobie

My little man <3

A gift bag from Tobie

Video of the body pillow cover show ;)

1 comment:

  1. My goodness, those babies need a firm talking to! They shouldn't be pulling shenanigans like this so early! Glad to hear they're still baking. :-)